FLORENCE, SC – The 32nd-ranked Francis Marion University men's tennis team was eliminated from the 2019 Peach Belt Conference Tennis Championships, losing a 4-0 decision to top-seeded and top-ranked Columbus State University on Saturday morning (April 20) in Peach Belt Conference action.
Francis Marion ends it 2019 season with a 10-10 mark, with all 10 losses coming at the hands of nationally ranked opponents and six to Top-15 opponents. The Patriots registered a three-win improvement over the 2018 campaign.
The Patriot doubles team of freshman Brandon Sweeney and sophomore Matt Astell earned a quick 6-1 victory at No.3 doubles, but the Cougars rallied to win the No.1 and No.2 contests and claim the doubles point.
In singles action, Columbus State (21-2) earned straight-set wins at positions No.1, No.6, and No.3 to clinch the match and advanced to Saturday afternoon's semifinals. Sweeney lost his first set at No.5 by a 6-4 count, but was leading 2-0 in the second set when the match stopped.
Men's Tennis Match Results
Apr 20, 2019 at Florence, SC (Dr. Eddie Floyd/Florence Tennis Center)
#1 Columbus State University 4, #32 Francis Marion University 0
1. #1 KP Pannu (CSU-M) def. Matt Astell (FMU) 6-0, 6-1
2. W. Anth-Forsberg (FMU) vs. #75 Fabien Asdrubal (CSU-M) 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
3. #30 Alvaro Regalado (CSU-M) def. Matheo Espinoza (FMU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) vs. #60 Arnold Kokulewski (CSU-M) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. Brandon Sweeney (FMU) vs. #66 Matei Avram (CSU-M) 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
6. Tommaso Schold (CSU-M) def. Henri Broeseler (FMU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #1 Zach Whaanga/Alvaro Regalado (CSU-M) def. #17 W. Anth-Forsberg/Charles Hutchings (FMU) 6-4
2. KP Pannu/Tommaso Schold (CSU-M) def. Matheo Espinoza/Mauricio Guerrero (FMU) 6-2
3. Brandon Sweeney/Matt Astell (FMU) def. Matei Avram/Arnold Kokulewski (CSU-M) 6-1
Match Notes: Columbus State University 21-2; National ranking #1
Francis Marion University 10-10; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,3)
Peach Belt Conference Tournament Quarterfinal match #1