FLORENCE, SC – Francis Marion University fell 4-0 to 10th-ranked and third-seeded University of North Georgia in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Peach Belt Conference Women's Tennis Tournament on Saturday afternoon (April 20).
The Patriots finish their season with a 14-8 record, a five-win improvement over the 2018 campaign. The Nighthawks (18-4) advance to face second-seeded Flagler College in the tournament semifinals on Saturday evening.
North Georgia grabbed wins at the top-two doubles positions to take a 1-0 lead in the contest. FMU sophomores Nikita Berger and Fredrika Regner held a 5-1 advantage at the No.3 spot at the time the Nighthawks clinched the doubles point.
UNG claimed quick straight-set victories at No.1 and No. 6 singles, then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the No.2 position. Sophomore Lesshika Vala took the first set of her match at No.5 singles before the contest was stopped.
Women's Tennis Match Results
Apr 20, 2019 at Florence, SC (Dr. Eddie Floyd/Florence Tennis Center)
#10 University of North Georgia 4, Francis Marion University 0
1. #33 Adrienne Bofinger (UNGW) def. Fredrika Regner (FMU_W) 6-1, 6-1
2. #27 Vaishali Jorge (UNGW) def. Denise Hartmann (FMU_W) 6-3, 6-2
3. Eva Zannier (FMU_W) vs. Holly Bennett (UNGW) 1-6, 2-2, unfinished
4. Nikita Berger (FMU_W) vs. Cibeles Zuddy (UNGW) 1-6, 2-5, unfinished
5. Lesshika Vala (FMU_W) vs. Claudelle Labonte (UNGW) 7-5, unfinished
6. Lexa Loden (UNGW) def. Magan Head (FMU_W) 6-2, 6-2
1. Holly Bennett/Vaishali Jorge (UNGW) def. Lesshika Vala/Magan Head (FMU_W) 6-2
2. Emma Etelalahit/Adrienne Bofinger (UNGW) def. Denise Hartmann/Eva Zannier (FMU_W) 6-1
3. Nikita Berger/Fredrika Regner (FMU_W) vs. Lexa Loden/Cibeles Zuddy (UNGW) 5-1, unfinished
Match Notes: University of North Georgia 18-4; National ranking #10
Francis Marion University 14-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,6,2)
Peach Belt Conference Tournament Quarterfinal match #7